This recipe combines calcium rich almonds with fibre packed and absorbent coconut flour, great for grain free baking. Cinnamon is a warming spice known to help regulate blood sugar levels by improving the uptake of glucose into the cells. The bananas provide the sweetness as well as the amino acid tryptophan which is essential for the synthesis of the mood enhancing neurotransmitter serotonin.
Make your own
1/2 cup coconut flour
1⁄2 cup ground almonds
3 very ripe bananas
1⁄2 cup melted coconut oil
1 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
3⁄4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄4 tsp Himalayan salt
(optional - 1⁄4 cup wild honey)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Line a 8.5 x 4.5 loaf tin.
- Add the coconut flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking soda and salt to a bowl and mix to remove any lumps.
- In another bowl whisk eggs, vanilla extract and 2 mashed bananas (or blend in a food processor).
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry, adding in the melted coconut oil.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth it out using a spatula.
- Slice the remaining banana (1cm wide).
- Decorate the loaf with the banana slices and some walnut halves.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Let it cool before removing it from the tin and placing it on a cooling rack.
- Best served with some nut or seed butter.