Most fruit peel is discarded due to its bitter taste, however the peel and pith of many fruits have been recognised to contain vital nutrients. This recipe aims to pack as much vitamin C into a cake as possible! Both the juice and peel contain high amounts of vitamin C, which is why I used the whole fruit, creating a lovely moist texture.
Make your own
2 large oranges (plus 1 orange for decoration peel)
5 tbsp cacao powder (or use good quality cocoa powder)
4 tbsp wild honey
5 free range eggs
2 cups (200g) ground almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
- Place 2 oranges in a large pan of water, cover completely and boil for 1 hour, then leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Grease a cake tin with coconut oil or line with greaseproof paper.
- Cut the cooled oranges into quarters, removing any pips.
- Blitz the oranges in a food processor until smooth.
- Add all the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes (until a skewer comes out clean).
- Leave to cool, then decorate with a dusting of cacao powder and grated orange zest.